1. Open the General Ledger Module and select Master Chart of Accounts.
Edit each G/L account to define it as a a header, subheader or detail
account. Money can't be posted to the header or subheader accounts.
2. Make sure that all "Types" (other assets, receivables, etc.) are setup
and no error exists in the Master Chart of Accounts.
3. Create the Active Chart of Accounts by creating the year, which is
found on the Master Chart of Accounts screen. Make sure that the info.
on the screen is correct as far as the year, beginning month,
cash/accrual, etc. Only one year should be open for now in VLP.
4. Go into Administration and set up the G/L Financial Controls to match
the Master Chart of Accounts. This is done on the Accounting General
tab. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. There is an FAQ describing this on the
website under the Administratiion module.
5. Go into the Bank Account module and select Bank "1" and Edit Account.
Enter the bank description and the proper G/L account number for the
6. Go into the General Ledger module and select Utilities. Select Clear
G/L Posting. (Note: YOU ONLY RUN THIS ONE TIME AND NEVER RUN IT
AGAIN. SERIOUS PROBLEMS WILL OCCUR IF IT IS RAN MORE THAN ONCE!)
Mark everything as "Posted" through the last day of the month prior
to the 1st day of your new year.
7. You are ready to open the G/L for 2003. Your first step would be in
8. Use the opening balance figures for the existing year as your
opening balance in VLP. (Note: The best way to obtain these figures
is to go into LOADPlus and open the General Ledger module and select
#1 G/L Accounts - Add/Edit/Delete. Pull up the balance sheet accounts
one at a time and make note of the opening balance figure.
9. If you are on a caldendar year, this is the opening balance for 2003.
10. Only bring forward the 100000 thru 300000 accounts. Do not post any
opening balances for 400000 on.
11. If a balance in LOADPlus has a minus sign in front of it, enter this
minus sign in VLP.
12. Once these figures are entered in VLP you will have a zero balance
at the bottom of the screen, meaning you are in balance.
13. Run your Trial Balance; it should balance to zero.
14. If you have done any manual entries into LOADPlus you will need to
enter them into VLP. (Note: You can find any manual entries by
going into LOADPlus and go into General Ledger and select option
#19 - J/E All Accounts. Run this report one month at a time. Any
transaction that doesn't have a description of Accounts Receivable
or Accounts Payable must be journal entried into Visual LOADPlus by
using the Distributed Entry Option. Enter one month's entries at
15. Run the unposted report and make sure that everything is coded
16. Select the Posting option
17. Go to General Ledger Controls and select to close the month.